Mesh with USG40W

alehzn
alehzn Posts: 37  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Hello,

I am running currently a single build-in access aoint with my USG40W (latest firmware), surving my home with wirelles LAN. As the WiFi coverage varies from room to room, I would like to enhance it but not using the traditional WiFi extender/repeater. Instead, I am wondering whether I could build a mesh network (what the Multi X does for instance) with e.g. NWA1123 ACHD or NWA1123-AC. Is that possible? Any hints are welcome.

Thanks you in advance.

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• alehzn
    Hi @Zyxel_Emily
    Thanks a lot for your reply and confirmation that the USG40W supports ZyMesh. I will setup it using one of the compatible AP.

Thanks
  • alehzn
    Hello @Zyxel_Emily

I am currently setting up a test environment based on our conversation and on of the supported AP controller. As far as I understood from the documentation the first root AP must be connected to the controller via Ethernet which then acts as AP in addition to the local build-in AP. So the question is: Why the the root AP (NWA5123AC) can't be connected directly via ZyMesh to the build-in (local) AP?

Thank you in advance.
  • alehzn
    No one?
  • Zyxel_Charlie
    Zyxel_Charlie Posts: 1,034  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    @alehzn
    The USG currently supports the ZyMesh only when the USG is play an AP controller role. So an external managed AP(the Root AP) will be needed.   
    And the Root AP have to connect to USG via wired line directly. The topology should be like as below:

Charlie
  • alehzn
    edited March 2019
    Hello @Zyxel_Charlie

Thank you. Understood. But I am having a ZyXEL 20W-VPN (3 antennas) with a built-in AP which is up and runnig. Do I still have to have a dedicated external AP? Taking your topology I have tried to connect a "Repeater AP" directly to the built-in AP by assigning the ZyMesh-role. It did not work.

So if I can use the built-in AP of the ZyXEL 20W-VPN, could you please provide me a "how to" to make the ZyMesh working with just a single "Repeater AP"?

Thank you in advance.
  • Blabababa
    Blabababa Posts: 151  Master Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    @alehzn
    I think what Zyxel_Charlie meant is that the built-in wifi can't be the Zymesh root AP but only external AP can achieve certain purpose.
  • alehzn
    Hello @Blabababa

I think that too. But as the answer was a bit ambiguous I wanted to double check that.

Means, I have to buy an additional one (NWA5123AC) for testing purposes to get ZyMesh up and running.

Thank you.

Security Highlight