WiFi Device Descriptions - where is the source?

HealthByRoHealthByRo Member Posts: 28  Freshman Member
Can someone shed some light on where the WiFi device descriptions are "read" from, what is the source?  In particular on a Mac?  And on a Windows PC?   We'd like to adjust the source so that the list of devices helps us determine which computer it is.  Any suggestions on where to look is appreciated.

Answers

• AlfonsoAlfonso Member Posts: 177  Master Member
    Hi @HealthByRo

I suppose the mac address could partially determine it.

Some web pages provide information from the mac address.

For example macvendors.com 

Does it help you?

Regards
    Nebula_Bayardo
  • HealthByRoHealthByRo Member Posts: 28  Freshman Member
    Sorry. not exactly what I was looking for.  There must be somewhere that the AP is reading that name from, and when it doesn't find it, then the MAC address is used in the description.   I wanted to standardize that to something.  Right now there are a few devices with something that is definitely user-entered.
  • RUnglaubeRUnglaube Member Posts: 98  Ally Member
    As far as I know and based on my network, the AP and GW will try to get the hostname of the device, I guess it's from the DHCP packet.  If not, it will use the MAC-address.

Cheers!
    "You will never walk along"
    Alfonso
  • Nebula_DeanNebula_Dean Zyxel Official Agent Posts: 290  mod
    Hey guys, 
    @RUnglaube is correct, the hostname/description you'll see in NCC is from DHCP packets, most of modern devices has it's hostname stored in DHCP packets on option 12.

• HealthByRoHealthByRo Member Posts: 28  Freshman Member
    So the response is from the DHCP server?  Or from the user computer?
  • Nebula_DeanNebula_Dean Zyxel Official Agent Posts: 290  mod
    edited November 21, 2018 2:41PM
    AP/Gateway listens from the client device, packets from gateway won't carry the clients hostname and other attributes in them, then is reported to NCC.
Sign In to comment.