USG20W-VPN: Problems establishing Wifi connection / spontaneous reboots

thom_ko
thom_ko Posts: 16  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
I'm experiencing frequent problems with establishing Wifi connections to my Zyxel USG20W-VPN. Frequently when I switch on the device it's not connecting to the Wifi automatically (like I'd expect). When I'm browsing for the SSID I see it in the list of available Wifi's, but as soon as I try connecting manually I get an error saying the password I entered is wrong. This definitely can't be the case, as the device has been connecting earlier without any problems. It also doesn't work if I enter the password again. So what I started doing was cancelling the password request on my device. When I repeat selecting the SSID I got questioned for the password again. Also rebooting the device wanting to connect to the USG20W-VPN mostly doesn't help / there are some rare cases where it does. Now to the interesting part: If I leave the device on for about 10-15 minutes, then it automatically connects to the Wifi. It doesn't matter whether I just switch it on and leave it the way it is or if I try connecting manually - aborting the password request combined with rebooting 10-15 minutes after the initial try my device connects automatically and then stays connected without any problem.
I also tried rebooting the USG20W-VPN which didn't help on the long run. Maybe it worked a little bit better for a couple of hours/days, but then the problem started again.

I'm experiencing the problem no matter if already a device is successfully connected to the USG20W-VPN or not. I'm experiencing this problem with devices from different manufacturers (Apple as well as Sony) as well as different types of devices (Smartphone, Tablet, Laptop).

My Wifi was initially configured as 2.4GHz and I recently changed it to 5GHz. The problem persists. Since I'm using it on 5GHz I also experienced spontaneous reboots of the USG20W-VPN when using Wifi. As the Log is cleaned after the reboot, I have no chance seeing what caused the reboot.

I initially bought my Zyxel USG20W-VPN with Firmware 4.30(ABAR.0) installed. As soon as the Update was out I updated to 4.31(ABAR.0). The described problem persisted in both version. I changed the frequency to 5GHz about 2 months after I installed version 4.31 (ABAR.0).

I remember having seen the following threads:
https://businessforum.zyxel.com/discussion/965/usg20w-vpn-slow-wireless-connection-establishment#latest
https://businessforum.zyxel.com/discussion/1207/usg20w-vpn-firmware-upgrade#latest
I remember that back in the day when I still was using 4.30 (ABAR.0) I sometimes saw the message about "AP disconnect" in my logs. This is what led me to update to 4.31 (ABAR.0). I can't remember having seen this message since, but the problem still exists. I don't know if the issues described in the mentioned threads should be solved with 4.31 (ABAR.0) or not.

With this behavior the wifi functionality of this device is completely unusable for me. And I really hope to get a fix for my problem.

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited July 2018
    Welcome to Zyxel community. :)

I will send you the firmware by private message.
    Please have a check.
  • thom_ko
    Hi Stanley, I installed the firmware. I'll report back. The installation went smooth and directly after the install all my devices connected without any problems via Wifi.

Just one remark: The new firmware now says my model is a USG60W. In fact I have a USG20W-VPN. Is this just a labeling error or have you sent me the wrong firmware?
  • Zyxel_Stanley

The firmware just for confirmation but not formal version.
    After confirmed this symptom, we will merge it into next formal release.
  • thom_ko
    Hi @Zyxel_Stanley, so far the test firmware is doing well. I haven't had any of the problems I initially had. Wifi connections establish instantly and stay stable. And the router hasn't been rebooted yet.  :)

When will the next official firmware (containing the fix) be released? I think until then I'll be sticking to the test firmware you sent me.
    Best regards,
    Thomas
  • Gcorreia
    Gcorreia Posts: 1
    Friend Collector First Comment
    I am also having a similar issue on a USG20W-VPN at one of our sites. The router keeps dropping connection to devices connected through wifi even though it is using the latest firmware. Would you be able to send me the firmware as well @Zyxel_Stanley to see if this fixes the issue?
  • link000
    link000 Posts: 39  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Hi, Stanley. My Zyxel USG 20W-VPN was bought with 4.16 firmware. The device worked stably. After updating to 4.20 firmware, there were no complaints either. With firmware 4.30, 4.31, 4.32 constantly lost wifi. The worst thing is that after restarting the device or the next time it is turned on, Wi-Fi does not work. You can solve the problem by deactivating the access point profile and then reactivating it. Please help me solve my problem. Now I have to roll back to stable firmware 4.20 (4.25).
  • Zyxel_Stanley
    Hi @link000
    Please has a check. :)
  • link000
    link000 Posts: 39  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Hi @link000
    Please has a check. :)
    Thanks, I'll check tonight.

• moonmoth
    moonmoth Posts: 16  Freshman Member
    Hi there, I am having the same issue as Link000. We have updated to 4.31 then to 4.32 and the Wifi keeps dropping. If we use the Wifi wizard to redefine the wifi network and use the defaults its comes back on again after 2 or 3 goes. Could you send me the firmware as well? 
    Regards
    Brian

Security Highlight