Locked out of my own USG110

Options
Awakensoul
Awakensoul Posts: 5
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
edited April 2021 in Security
Last week I was logging in and the USG110 asked me to select a new password. I did and typed it twice.
Unfortunately I don't kno what went wrong but I am unable to log back in. I tried the new password, some variants, the old one, butr I am unable to access it.

I do not have a configuration file saved. So, if I reset my USG110 on the button on the device will i be able after logging in to get my current configuration on the device?

Can anyone advise?

Comments

• USG_User
    USG_User Posts: 369  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi Awakensoul,
    I experienved the same just some minutes ago. What goes wrong here?
  • Zyxel_Cooldia
    Zyxel_Cooldia Posts: 1,450  Zyxel Employee
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi @Awakensoul,
    Factory default will restore back to system default configuration file, make sure you have backup configuration file at device in the past.
    As for password changed mechanism, it prompt admin to change password by login Security setting, so that you will see the password change after you log in to device.
    If you log in with wrong password and reach the retry count, USG will block the IP(30 mins by default).

How to check and unlock?
    1) Console line
       Router(config)# show lockout-users                   <= To check locked IP
       Router(config)# unlock lockout-users X.X.X.X      <= Unlock blocking IP address, x.x.x.x
    2) Just power cut/reboot USG to unlock IP.

• Awakensoul
    Options
    Ok, so just to be clear, what does this mean?
    "Factory default will restore back to system default configuration file, make sure you have backup configuration file at device in the past"

Do I need to have a backup file stored locally or does the USG110 keep a backup of the running configuration in itself and after performing "Factory Reset" I will be able to access this backup?

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,366  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @Awakensoul  

After you performed “Factory Reset”, the device running configuration will been reset as default and reboot itself.

It means all of configuration will be default setting except you have stored configuration manually.

You can backup configuration by Maintenance > File Manager > Configuration file > Click "Copy" to backup configuration.

• Awakensoul
    Options

Hi @Awakensoul  

After you performed “Factory Reset”, the device running configuration will been reset as default and reboot itself.

It means all of configuration will be default setting except you have stored configuration manually.

You can backup configuration by Maintenance > File Manager > Configuration file > Click "Copy" to backup configuration.

Hi, So taking in consideration that i don't have a backup, and I am locked out of my own device because it rejects the password, are there any other options for me to gaining acess to the device without losing all my configurations?

• Awakensoul
    Options

Hi @Awakensoul  

Hi, So taking in consideration that i don't have a backup, and I am locked out of my own device because it rejects the password, are there any other options for me to gaining acess to the device without losing all my configurations?

Could a Zyxel administrator remotely download my configuration or something like that?
    The device has hundreds of settings, VPN's running, it's also controlling a 5 Access Point Wifi system, multiple VLANS..... If i have to reconfigure this all over again it will take me days that I cannot afford to have the entire enterprise network down.
  • Zyxel_Stanley
    Options
    Hi Awakensoul

No users (even Zyxel) can backup your configuration file without the Admin permission. However, you can follow the FAQ to backup configuration by using serial connection locally.

• Awakensoul
    Options
    Hi Awakensoul

No users (even Zyxel) can backup your configuration file without the Admin permission. However, you can follow the FAQ to backup configuration by using serial connection locally.

Hi Stanley,

This is very helpfull and exactly what I was looking for, a solution that allows me to not lose my configurations. I have some doubts about the procedure though:

1 - If I don't have access to the WEB GUI how do I correcly reboot the unit? I am assuming via removing the power cable and connecting it again, is this correct?

2 - When I reboot the tera term must already be connected to be able to see the bootup process via serial connection correct?

3 - After step number 4 how do I get out of debug mode and allow the device to complete the boot process?

Thank you in advance for your very much appreciated help.

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Options

(1)  Yes, you can re-plug in power core to reboot device.

(2)  Yes, you can standby Serial cable first.

(3)  There is a command: atgo   after entered this command, device will exit debug mode and reboot.

• WebWorks
    Options

This link just saved me from "rebuilding" 3 USG110.

Procedure is logic and works perfect.

Hints, default Com Settings are missing and use putty.exe as terminal

BaudRade 115200, Data 8bit, Parity none, Stop 1bit, FlowControl none.

@Zyxel. These problems are often triggered by the "new" password change requests. Built in since some time. The webdialog that requires a new password has problems if there is a $$ in the password! It's a nasty bug! Can you please fix this AND communicate what happens if a $$ is in the password! So it's possible to "guess" the saved new password!

Security Highlight